How to Regain Confidence? If you are the one who is asking this question, you have come to the right place. All of us have experienced at least one instance in our life where our confidence dipped and we had to regain the confidence. It could have been anything such as an acrimonious breakup, failing an examination, losing a job or being rejected by an authority figure or friend in our life. But how to regain confidence after such an event? The worst part is to regain the confidence that you lost due to the unfortunate incident. Actually, it is easy said than done. Here are important tips to regain your confidence when you have lost it due to whatever reason.
How to Regain Confidence When You have Lost it Due to Whatever Reason?
Whether you are looking to regain your lost confidence or you are thinking – how to be confident at work – the principles of gaining confidence are almost the same. You need to find a way to somehow shake off the failure and get on with the game. If not, your colleagues will march forward while you lag behind wallowing in self-pity and low-confidence issues. You need to move forward again even though you feel insecure and hurt. There is no time to waste since our life is so short and the time will fly in a jiffy. It might be the hardest time to feel good about yourself and what you are doing. But you need to keep moving forward even under such circumstances. The strides might be smaller compared to before but you need to keep taking them if you want to become confident again. Here are some steps to regain your self-esteem and self-confidence under such circumstances.
- Acknowledge the event that destroyed your self-confidence – This is the most important thing to do when you have lost your confidence due to whatever reason. It can be the boyfriend who broke your heart, the job you lost due to no fault of yours, the toxic friend who let you down for no valid reason or any other reason that helped you go down on confidence. There is no use pretending that these things did not happen. The more you delay to acknowledge the incident that made you lose confidence in yourself, the more power you give it. Facing something head-on is the best way to take away the power it has over you. This is the first thing you need to do when you are trying to regain your lost confidence.
- Understand that it will take some time – When something erodes your confidence, you will not be able to fix it with a click of your fingers, especially if it is something serious. You need to understand that it will take a while to restore things to where they originally were. But one thing to remember is, you should never let a sporadic event ruin your life or the perception of yourself. Most of the time, there will not be a quick fix to your problem. Confidence is similar to trust: easy to lose and hard to develop. The best thing is to put your head down and get on with your life on a gradual basis. Success breeds confidence. Even small successes will help you regain your lost confidence step by step. Hence, Start succeeding again so that your confidence will gradually return.
- Talk with a friend – You need not wallow in self-pity when you are faced with a low confident situation. In fact, you need to talk it out with a close friend or confidante. Don’t let it bottle up inside and eat up your peace of mind. Release it by talking with a close friend. When you have emptied your mind of the emotions associated with that particular incident, you can think of creative ways to develop your confidence again. The best way to let it off your mind is to talk with a close friend.
- Revisit past successes – It is a known fact that people easily forget thousands of wonderful achievements when one little failure comes into play. When you be hard on yourself, you only perpetuate your feelings of failure. It is better to revisit small successes of the past when you are down in your confidence levels. Spend some time revisiting these past events where you were successful. Even a small success will help energize yourself to face the present with confidence.
- Celebrate small wins – This is another big one when regaining your lost confidence. It is easy to lose confidence in a flash but it is not easy to get it back. Start with celebrating small wins along the way. Build on these small wins over the course of a week’s or month’s time to regain your lost confidence. It will help answer the question of how to regain confidence?